Oklahoma producers who have suffered livestock grazing losses due to qualifying drought or fire may apply for assistance from the Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP), says Francie Tolle, executive director for Oklahoma Farm Service Agency (FSA). This permanent disaster program is authorized in the 2008 Farm Bill.

"LFP ensures that producers receive the critical disaster assistance needed to remain financially solvent and help them continue on in their operations," says Tolle.

For drought-funding assistance, producers must have taken losses on native or improved pastureland with permanent vegetative cover or a crop planted specifically for grazing. Livestock producers eligible for funding after experiencing fire disasters must have suffered grazing losses on rangeland managed by a federal agency.

Eligible livestock under LFP include beef cattle, alpacas, buffalo, beefalo, dairy cattle, deer, elk, emus, equine, goats, llamas, poultry, reindeer, sheep and swine. For losses due to drought, qualifying drought ratings are determined using the U.S. Drought Monitor, located at www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html.

To be eligible for assistance under the LFP, producers must:

  • Have timely applied for and obtained either crop insurance or Non-insured Crop Disaster Assistance (NAP) coverage on the pasture or grazing land that suffered an eligible loss.
  • Be an owner, cash or share lessee, or contract grower of covered livestock that provides pastureland or grazing land for the livestock.
  • Provide pastureland or grazing land that is physically located in a county affected by drought or fire on federally managed land.
  • Producers are only required to obtain a policy or plan of insurance or have NAP coverage on the grazing land or pastureland acres for which benefits are being requested under LFP. Livestock producers are not required to purchase pilot program insurance to be eligible for LFP.

    To sign up for LFP, contact your local FSA county office. Learn more about LFP at www.fsa.usda.gov/ok.