The Nebraska Farm Service Agency (FSA) authorized 54 counties for emergency haying and grazing on Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acres, effective beginning July 16.

The move is intended to help livestock producers whose forage production has been damaged after suffering from the severe drought in the state, says Dan Steinkruger, FSA director.

“Drought has been ongoing in Nebraska counties for more than a year, and forage losses have impacted livestock producers to the extent of drastic herd reductions,” he adds.

Producers interested in harvesting CRP acres must request FSA approval, then obtain modified conservation plans from the Natural Resources Conservation Service.

CRP participants are not allowed to sell the hay, Steinkruger says. Eligible livestock producers can lease the haying or grazing privilege from others with CRP acres. They should contact their local FSA offices for more information, or visit


You might also like:

CRP Haying Authorized In Drought-Stricken Texas

What To Charge For Nebraska Hay

List Your Hay In Nebraska