Wyoming growers are encouraged to enter the hay show at the second-annual Bales and Bovines Conference, Jan. 7, at the state fairgrounds in Douglas. The show is limited to one entry per farm and will feature alfalfa, grass hay and mixed hay classes. Contestants may enter one small square bale, a flake from a 3 x 3' bale, or a sample of a bale brought to the contest in a plastic tote. The minimum sample size is 50 lbs. Core samples of the hay will be sent to Ward Labs in Kearney, NE, on Jan. 7. Results will be announced at 4 p.m., Jan. 8. Prizes will be awarded to the top-scoring bales in each class. Forage quality will make up 80% of the final grade, with visual appraisal accounting for the other 20%. There is no cost to the show, but hay must be entered by 1 p.m., Jan. 7.
The general public can participate in a hay evaluation contest. One bale will be selected from each class, and the public will guess its protein, TDN and relative feed value for prizes.
Bales and Bovines is one of four conferences that make up the Winter Ag Expo. Learn more about the expo at www.wyoagexpo.com. Contact Scott Keith, Wyoming Business Council Livestock and Forage Program manager, for more details at 307-237-4696, or firstname.lastname@example.org.