Please take note that the hay classes have changed from years past. Section I will include only completely field-cured hay, and Section II will include heat or mechanical drying, as well as added hay preservatives. Additional classes have been added to showcase the diversity of hay grown in Pennsylvania and expand the educational value of the show. Hay show entry form can be found on the PFGC website at http://www.afgc.org/pennsylvania.php.
All members of the Pennsylvania Forage and Grassland Council can enter any number of samples without a charge. All other non-member exhibitors will be charged $10/sample. Entry fees must accompany hay samples. CREDIT CARDS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Must have check or cash.
If exhibitor is not a member of the PFGC and would like to join, membership brochure can be found at http://www.afgc.org/pennsylvania.php or contact Terri Breon at (814)355-2467 to be mailed to the exhibitor or membership can be paid with sample delivery.
1. Entries officially close at 10:00 a.m., Tuesday, August 14, 2018. However, to facilitate handling of samples, exhibitors are urged to deliver their samples to the hay show building on Monday, August 13. Hay shipped or delivered prior to August 1 should be clearly identified as Hay Show Sample and addressed as follows:
PA Forage and Grassland Council
174 Crestview Drive
Bellefonte, PA 16823
2. All members of the Pennsylvania Forage and Grassland Council can enter any number of samples without a charge. All other non-member exhibitors will be charged $10/sample. Entry fees must accompany hay samples.
3. The hay shown must have been grown by the Exhibitor in Pennsylvania in 2018.
4. Exhibitors may enter in as many classes as they wish, but no exhibitor shall have more than one entry in a class, either in his own name, the name of the farm, or the name of some other person.
5. Exhibitors must attach an entry blank, giving name, address, county and class in which the exhibit is to be entered. Exhibitors can secure additional entry blanks at their County Agricultural Extension Office.
6. LONG HAY FROM ANY BALES (small square, large round or large square) THAT HAVE BEEN CURED (adequately dry) can be entered. An exhibit must consist of a bale section 4 to 6 inches thick, 12 inches high and 18 inches wide. Thin or moist samples will be disqualified.
7. SAMPLES MUST BE TIED WITH TWINE.
8. Judging will be based on both visual characteristics and forage quality analysis.
9. Unless disapproved by the exhibitor, samples will be stored for exhibit in the Hay Show at the 2019 Pennsylvania Farm Show. To receive cash prizes from the Farm Show you must provide them with your Social Security Number. Mail the attached tear-off tab directly to the Farm Show.