November 23, 2021
• October milk production in the U.S. dropped 5% compared to a year ago, according to USDA’s Milk Production report. Since June, the nation’s dairy herd has been reduced by nearly 100,000 head.
• Forage waste during the hay-feeding season can and should be kept to minimum.
• Kansas State University offers information on the nutritive value and options for grazing crop residues.
November 16, 2021
• Drought can result in elevated concentrations of total dissolved solids (TDS) and sulfates in livestock water.
• The National Alfalfa & Forage Alliance (NAFA) has recently updated and released “Alfalfa for Beef Cows,” which serves as a guide to everything livestock farmers should know about feeding alfalfa to beef cows.
• South Dakota State University has released a new bulletin on Aphanomyces root rot in alfalfa.
• USDA pegged 2021 corn production at 15.1 billion bushels, up 7% from last year. Based on conditions as of November 1, the average yield is expected to be 177 bushels per acre.
• Penn State University offers some considerations for November weed control.
November 9, 2021
• September exports of U.S. alfalfa hay totaled 254,820 metric tons (MT), according to USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service. Although that was below the record amount shipped in August, it is still the highest total ever shipped in September for any previous year.
• After alfalfa hay exports trailed 2020 for most of this year, strong volumes in August and September now have year-to-date exports through September at a pace 5% ahead of last year and total 2.15 million MT.
• Alfalfa hay exports to China through September were 35% ahead of 2020. Japan, Korea, and Saudi Arabia were behind last year for the same period while Taiwan was slightly ahead.
• The University of Nebraska offers these tips for grazing cornstalks.
• The deadline for enrolling in the Pasture, Rangeland, and Forage (PFR) insurance program is December 1. Here’s an explanation of how it works.
November 2, 2021
• If you missed the presentations from the Dairy Forage Seminar Stage at World Dairy Expo, they can be viewed here.
• A new alfalfa caterpillar pest was found in California’s Imperial Valley.
• The University of Nebraska Extension is hosting a Cover Crop Grazing Conference on November 16 in Mead.
• Canada’s Beef Cattle Research Council offers this summary of the pros and cons of various winter hay-feeding strategies.
• Glyphosate prices, along with many other farm chemicals, are at least double the price today compared to one year ago.