November 22, 2022
• Cattle and calves on feed for the U.S. slaughter market totaled 11.7 million head on November 1. The inventory was 2% below a year ago. Placements in feedlots during October totaled 2.11 million head, which was down 6% from 2021. Placements were the lowest for October since tracking began in 1996. Marketings of fed cattle during October totaled 1.8 million head, 1% above last year.
• Here’s some tips for grazing corn.
• Dhurrin-free sorghum species will soon be a reality.
• Plan now for the 2023 grazing season.
• Navigating the winter feeding season in the Florida Panhandle will be a challenge.
November 15, 2022
• The USDA now forecasts 2022 corn grain production to be 13.9 billion bushels, which is slightly higher than their October estimate. Still, production is expected to be down 8% from 2021. The average yield is pegged at 172.3 bushels per acre, down 4.4 bushels from last year.
• Here are some pros and cons of different bale-feeding options during winter.
• It was announced last week that the 2023 Heart of America Grazing Conference will take place February 20 and 21 at the Ferdinand Community Center in Ferdinand, Ind.
• The Nobel Research Institute offers these six tips for improving wildlife habitat on your ranch.
November 8, 2022
• Exports of U.S. alfalfa hay during September totaled 248,209 metric tons (MT), which was slightly higher than a year ago but down significantly from the record-high August total. Through September, alfalfa exports are running 3.7% ahead of 2021, according to USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service.
• China imported 164,821 MT of U.S. alfalfa during September, which was up from 2021 but below its record-high total in August. Through the first three-quarters of 2022, exports of alfalfa hay to China are running about 9% ahead of last year and account for 57% of the total U.S. alfalfa hay exports.
• Exports of U.S. alfalfa to Japan have dropped significantly during recent months, although their total through September is only 4% behind 2021. On the flip side, exports to Saudi Arabia are on a significant rebound. It imported 37,520 MT during September after being well below 10,000 MT at the beginning of the year.
• Will you have enough hay this winter? Here’s how to know.
• Reduce waste when feeding hay.
November 1, 2022
• Flexible stocking rate options exist for drought management.
• Extend the growing season with cornstalks.
• LaCrosse Seeds, a division of DLF USA Inc., recently announced their acquisition of Deer Creek Seeds, which is based in Windsor, Wis.
• The 2022 World Alfalfa Congress is fast approaching. It will be held in San Diego, Calif., on November 14 to 17.
• Presentations from the Dairy Forage Seminars at World Dairy Expo can be now be viewed here.