A web-based application, the new WSS (Version 3.2) provides a wealth of soils information, data and soil survey maps—all free and downloadable. The WSS now includes a “Use Quick Map” function on its Preferences menu that allows quicker map drawing with a fewer limitations. Other improvements and enhancements include:
- Internet Explorer v.11 is now the minimum standard for WSS. Chrome and Firefox can also be used;
- Area of Interest (AOI) can now be imported for use in WSS, along with field names to identify various parcels;
- Thematic maps created for the AOI that can now be downloaded using a WMS or a WFS service to use on local GIS software;
- AOI Download now contains thematic maps created during the session; and
- Scale Warnings are now displayed on the screen and on printed maps whenever the user zooms beyond the scale of mapping.
All of WSS’ new features and fixes can be seen here.
Providing soil and soil survey information to anyone with a computer continues to be a major priority for NRCS. The WSS attracts online visitors from all over the world, and serves more than 7,000 users a day.