The University of Illinois offers several horse-related resources, including a publication, a CD-ROM and a Web site.
Buying Horse Hay is a $6 publication that includes:
- Ways to spend less on feed and improve animal health.
- Nutrition and digestive needs for various horse types at several growth stages.
- How to sample and visually inspect hay for best selection.
- Signs of toxicity problems caused by fungi, plants, insects and animals.
- Methods for buying, transporting and storing hay. It also has a pest identification guide among other features.
Pastures for Horses: A Guide to Rotational Grazing is a CD-ROM that provides comprehensive information on rotational grazing as a means of maintaining healthy horses in a cost-effective, environmentally friendly operation. The order code is C1387-CD; the price, $58.
Horsenet is a University of Illinois Web site that provides timely information to the state’s horse owners. You'll find current topics, general guidelines for horse management, a calendar of upcoming horse-related events, a place to post questions for animal science experts and more.
To order the resources, visit webstore.aces.uiuc.edu/shopsite/A3772.html or call 800-345-6087.