Producers who want to buy Non-Insurable Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) coverage on native and improved grazing and forage/hay land have until Dec. 1 to do so.

NAP provides financial assistance to producers of non-insurable crops when low yields or grazing losses, loss of inventory or prevented planting occur due to normal disasters, says USDA Texas Farm Service Agency (FSA) Acting Executive Director James Douglass.

"Purchasing a crop insurance policy is an easy way for producers to practice risk management," he says. "The 2011 crop year has proved that natural disasters can directly affect the profitability and recovery of agricultural operations.”

To meet eligibility requirements for NAP, crops must be non-insurable, commercially produced ag commodity crops for which the catastrophic risk protection level of crop insurance is not available.

In the event of a natural disaster, NAP covers the amount of loss greater than 50% of the expected production based on the approved yield and reported acreage.

Eligible producers can apply for coverage using form CCC-471, "Application for Coverage." For more information, contact your local FSA office.