May 17, 2022
• The Noble Research Institute learned these seven lessons after adding sheep to their ranch.
• A new decision tool from the University of Missouri helps wheat growers find the “sweet spot” for harvesting wheatlage or grain.
• Here are some tips to consider if your alfalfa has winterkilled.
• John Deere announced last week that it has established an allied agreement for the distribution of Grady Twin Pak balers.
• Grazing has little impact on soil structure when grazing cover crops, according to researchers at Kansas State University.
May 10, 2022
• The U.S. exported 251,719 metric tons (MT) of alfalfa hay during March, according to USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service. This total was down 11% from the previous year; however, the year-to-date volume through March remains 4% ahead of 2021.
• China imported 116,382 MT of U.S. alfalfa hay during March, down 19% from the previous year. Its year-to-date total remains 13% ahead of 2021.
• The University of Nebraska offers some options for dealing with a grass shortage.
• Forage management takes on a different look when fertilizer prices are at record-high levels.
• Kansas State University has had success interseeding sorghum-sudangrass into western wheatgrass pastures.
May 3, 2022
• Extreme weather is expected to delay pasture turnout in North Dakota.
• Approximately 52% of U.S. alfalfa hay acres are in an area experiencing drought. The same is true for about 40% of all hay acres.
• Farmers continue to increase corn plant density.